Tuesday, May 4, 2010

{Candlestick Re-Do}

I scored these sweet candlesticks at a neighborhood garage sale last weekend. They're glass and very heavy. I saw potential in these beauties. They just needed a little bit of work.


1. The culprits: it's not their fault they're so ugly. The brownish black with gold distressing was just NOT doing it for me.

2. I grabbed a can of my favorite silver spray paint and set to work using tape (just the blue painter's tape) to tape off the glass bulbs so they would stay clear. I applied 2 coats and waited 2 hours between each coat. This stuff dries FAST, as in 10-15 minutes later. However, I have a bad track record with spray paint so I waited the recommended 2 hours.

3. - 4. I removed the tape and voila! Pretty silver candlesticks which fit my decor perfectly! I currently have them displayed on my coffee table on a silver tray (Hobby Lobby) along with a Mercury glass urn and a candle pedestal from Ikea.

2 comments:

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Hey Holly. These turned out great. I bet they were expensive in their day. I love your mantel masterpiece. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm a pretty new blogger too and it's kinda scary at first (it's a pretty massive world) though I still can't believe how nice everyone is. It's pretty awesome.
Kristine
xx

Stephanie@cre8tive said...

Wow you did a great job on those! I am so bad a taping things off, I always miss a spot. And good for you to wait the extra time, I am too impatient for that.